Sermon preached 17 November 2013 – Second Sunday before Advent
Luke 21: 5-19
- Your word is a lamp to my feet
- and a light to my path.
- Your word O Lord is eternal
- it stands firm in the heavens Psalm 119 106, 80
- Praying the scriptures: pleases God. Put me in remembrance Is 43:26
- Protects us from being deceived
- Luke 21:8 Watch out that you are not deceived. Talking of the end of the age. cf Mark 13 – the little Apocalypse.
- for many will come in my name claiming I AM
- Jesus uses I AM in the 7 I Am sayings in John’s gospel
- Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” John 6:35
- Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. John 10:7
- I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. John 10:11
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, John 11:25
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
- “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. John 15:1
- Here is the clue to what Jesus is saying
- Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” John 8:58
- Exodus 3:13 Moses asked God what His name was – I AM WHO I AM.
- I Am is the Name of the Most High God, the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob.
- When Jesus uses I AM he is saying as John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.
- Before Abraham was, Father God, the pre-existent Son who was revealed to us as Jesus and the Holy Spirit all existed – living and reigning in the perfect unity of love – 3 Persons yet one God post Communion prayer Trinity Sunday
Luke 21:8 Many will come in my name claiming I Am and the Time is near. Do not follow them.
Matthew 24:24 False Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect – if possible. Jesus has warned us.
- What to do?
- Hear, Read. Mark, Learn and Inwardly digest Gods word. Bible Sunday
- Learn from the Greats of Faith. Joshua 1:8 “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth, meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
- Get to know God the Father, God the Son God the Holy Spirit – learn their names in the Bible – prayer these scripture back to them. learn their personalities – pray these scriptures back to them.
- Study the prophecies in the Bible about who Jesus is:
- Especially: Deuteronomy 18:15 The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. Isaiah 52, 53. See how they have been fulfilled.
- Study the real and you will spot a fake
- Absorb yourself in real prophecy and your will recognise false prophecy
- Get to know Jesus, the Prophet like unto Moses, and false prophets will be unable to deceive you.